Monday, September 16, 2013

Thoughts on Exceptionalism and Patriotism

I know I haven't blogged for a while - I've been sick the past few days with a nasty sore throat bug. Anyway... here's my post.



On my run this evening, this is what I saw. In light of today's tragedy and horrible loss of life just a mile away from where this picture was taken, I was struck with an enormous sense of pride and patriotism for this amazing country. From handful of people, and a few ideas, came this great country - the greatest on the planet. True, we may not all agree on everything; true, mistakes have been made and will continue to be made; true, there will be some bumps in the road in the coming months and years, but we are Americans. We will - together - endure, thrive, and continue to discuss, debate, and revolutionize, as we always have since a few men with an idea met over 230 years ago.

Call me traditional, old fashioned, naïve, ethnocentric, etc..., but I believe in American Exceptionalism. America is exceptional. Together, we can weather through the problems that plague our age, and together, we can grow and improve (through necessary debate - let's be realistic) to meet new challenges. Why improve if we're already exceptional? Because we are exceptional, and we don't settle.

Because of that, I love America, and I'm proud to live in this amazing country.


No comments:

Post a Comment